Ultrachem Synthetic Impregnating Oils
Powder Metal Bearings:
Impregnating oils are used in the Powder Metal Bearing industry wheresintered bearings are vacuum impregnated for use in sealed-for-lifepowder metal bearings. The bearings are usually made from combinationsof iron and graphite or bronze with some other metals utilized forvarious characteristics. As the name implies, these metals are combinedand fed as a powder into a hydraulic press where they are punched outunder great pressure. At this point they are still “green” and may becrushed by hand. The next process is the sintering process in a highoven at temperatures often approaching 1700°F or more. At thesetemperatures the metals begin to melt together, but still leave somepores throughout the bearing. Next a final “sizing” operation is doneto make sure that the bearing has the correct inner dimension. Finally,the bearings may be impregnated under vacuum with the proper oil forthe application. Impregnation is sometimes done under mild heat of~150°F.
How They Work:
As the shaft on a small sub-fractional hp electric motor starts to turnit creates heat. This heat draws the oil from the bearing and the oilprovides a fluid film to prevent metal-to-metal contact and theassociated wear. Then, when the motor is turned off, and the bearingcools down, the oil is drawn back into the bearing by capillary action.
In this way the motor bearings are lubricated and the unit can besealed-for-life. In many cases there is also an oil reservoirconsisting of a felt donut or wicking material that is also filled withoil to replenish the porous bearing as some oil is eventually drawnaway from the bearing and not drawn back into the bearing uponcool-down.
Why Use PM Bearings:
PM bearings are definitely less expensive than roller or ball bearings.Cost may be as little as 10% of the ball bearings. They also offer areduction in noise, because the individual balls and races areeliminated. The PM bearings can be engineered for porosity, hardness,and other factors important to their life.
Many users of powder metal bearings rely on Ultrachem syntheticimpregnating oil for long life. Ultrachem pioneered the concept ofplastic compatible synthetic impregnating oils for use with many oftoday’s plastics. Our oils are used worldwide in power tools, vacuumcleaners, fans of every description, blowers, garbage disposals, garagedoor openers, bilge pumps, RV pumps, aquarium pumps, food processors,can openers and the many dc motors found in your car that power theseat, the windows, the wipers, the heater/ac blower and more.
Ultrachem manufactures each impregnating oil for a specific applicationfor long-life reliable use under a variety of conditions. As a result,the advantages offered by these premium quality synthetic lubricantsare:
The proven productsoutlined in the following information will assist you in upgrading yourlubrication program. If appropriate, we can formulate a special productfor your application.
- Permanent lubrication or extremely long life.
- Widest possible useful temperature range.
- Outstanding oxidation stability with no deposits.
- Excellent viscosity temperature relationship.
- Low evaporation rate.
- Better lubricity, excellent EP qualities, and less wear than petroleum and silicone lubricants.
- Superior mechanical and thermal stability.
- Low unit cost. Each bearing holds only grams of oil.
- Uncompromising quality.
- Food grade products available.
The following basic guidelines will help you decide which of our various products to evaluate:
- If your end-use requires USDA H-1incidental food contact, then you must use either our Omnilube® Non-Toxor other oil specially selected by our technical staff.
- If you have compatibility concerns of bearing lubricants withplastic seals, housings, fan blades or other engine parts, then theOmnilube® (PAO) Series should be tested.
- For bearings operating at low to modest temperatures, whereplastic compatibility is not a concern, we suggest our Chemlube®diester products.
- For bearings operating at modest to high temperatures, wesuggest the thermal and oxidative stability of Syntroil® and Chemlube®,our polyol- ester products.
*Viscosity for graphite containing compounds is the viscosity of the base oil.undefinedundefinedundefined